What is a Poker Bonus?
A poker bonus is free money that an online poker room awards to its players. There are a number of different types of poker bonuses that exist and different online poker rooms will offer a different range of bonuses.
Why Poker Rooms Offer Bonuses
Online poker rooms offer bonuses as a way to attract new players to their site and to keep existing players from leaving. As online poker has grown in popularity and more and more online poker rooms are launched, the competition between these sites has increased. Poker bonuses are one way that online poker rooms attempt to differentiate themselves from one another.
Types of Poker Bonuses
There are many different types of poker bonuses that may be offered by an online poker room.
- No Deposit Bonus – a no deposit bonus is an attractive form of bonus. It is a bonus that is available to new players who have not yet made any deposits into their account. It is real money that can be used to play at the poker room to trial the software and the games. Once you have made a deposit, you will no longer be eligible for the bonus.
- Welcome Bonus – welcome bonuses are a way for online poker rooms to attract new players. These are the most common form of bonus available and they are offered to new players on their first deposit at the site. They are typically a percentage of your first deposit.
- Reload Bonus – reload bonuses work in the same way as welcome bonuses, but they are available to all players when they make a deposit. They are a percentage bonus of your deposit.
- VIP Bonus – many online poker rooms run VIP or loyalty programs as a way to reward their loyal players for their activity at the site. As part of the benefits of the loyalty program, these sites offer exclusive bonuses to their VIP members.
- Alternative Payment Method Bonus – some online poker rooms offer bonuses for players who use a preferred payment option to make their deposits. This is typically a percentage bonus on top of any other bonuses you claim, such as the welcome bonus or reload bonus.
- Weekly or Monthly Bonus – most online poker rooms offer weekly and/or monthly bonuses. These can be viewed on the promotions page of the poker room. They are limited time bonuses so it is worthwhile to keep an eye on the promotions page for any changes.
All bonuses come with wagering requirements. Wagering requirements are the terms and conditions that are set on the bonus. This may set out the number of hands you need to play per bonus dollar or the amount of time you have to use the bonus. It is important to read the wagering requirements before you accept a bonus to make sure that the conditions suit your style of play.